The city of Funchal is the birthplace of the Portuguese football player – Cristiano Ronaldo. The footballer plays for Juventus FC as a forward and is the captain of the Portuguese team. He is regarded as one of the greatest players of all time, so it is no surprise that Funchal boasts with pride for the footballer.
Fun Facts about the Football Superstar:
- His full name is Cristiano Ronaldo dos Santos Aveiro. He was given his second name after the U.S President, Ronald Reagan, because his father was a huge fan of the actor.
- He has no tattoos because he donates blood twice a year.
- He has won the FIFA Ballon d’Or five times.
- In 2008, Ronaldo scored 42 goals and was awarded the FIFA World of the Year Honour.
- Manchester United paid £12 million to sign him in 2003 – a record fee for a player of his age.
- When Ronaldo jumps, he generates a 5G of G-force on take-off – this is the same power of a cheetah when it jumps.
- His free-kick speed has been measured at 13.1km per hour.
- His net worth is estimated at $250 million.
- Ronaldo sold his golden boot for 1.5 million euros and donated the money to fund schools for children in Gaza.
When visiting the city of Funchal, you can best believe that you will see the Cristiano Ronaldo or his acronym, CR7, around the city. Here are the following tourist attractions that are bare the footballers’ name:
- CR7 Museum which houses his trophies and other memorabilia of the football star.
- Cristiano Ronaldo Statue can be found at the Madeira Airport.
- Small mural of the footballer is located in the center of Funchal.
- You can buy CR7 clothing and accessories at the official Cristiano Ronaldo store.
If you are a football fanatic, be sure to visit the football star’s birthplace and immerse yourself in all things Cristiano Ronaldo.